Designing a new home or remodeling your current home is a big endeavor that takes lots of planning. Our interior designers in Sarasota (and now Cleveland!) are sharing some of our expert tips to help get you thinking about Your Style of Living. There are no right or wrong ways to design your home, but it’s important to make sure you are making the most of your space and making your home comfortable and a reflection of your personal tastes and preferences.
10 Interior Design Tips
- Don’t dismiss wallpaper! The kind of wallpaper you use can set the tone. You may be looking for more muted, neutral colors or a bold, eye-catching pattern to use for an accent wall. The possibilities are endless with the variety of wallpaper we can choose from.
- You don’t need to repaint your whole home in order to incorporate the color of the year (but you can if you want to!). Incorporating throw pillows, area rugs, wall art, curtains and other accessories is an easy and non-committal way to add in pops of trendy colors.
- There are many different color palettes that work well in a bathroom. Black and white is always a classic option, or you can opt for shades of gray with added pops of color. If you are into more of a coastal look, add shades of blue and green with white and raw wood accents. For those looking for a more dramatic look, add a red accent wall. Or take this opportunity to try a fun wallpaper.
- Have your outdoor kitchen and living area complement your backyard by bringing in natural materials, like wood and stone, and subdued colors.
- Being in a smaller space does not mean you have to sacrifice design and style. Don’t be afraid to incorporate those art pieces and any unique furnishings into your floor plan. Consider fun throw rugs to add some color.
- Houseplants can help purify the air indoors and are also thought to help reduce stress and increase productivity. They can also act as a barrier to reduce noise or visibility if you are trying to section off part of a room. Fresh flowers are a great way to bring the outdoors in with pops of color.
- It is so important to have a clutter-free zone in your bedroom. We should experience a serene feeling and a sense of calm when we are in our bedrooms. Tidy up and eliminate all of the unnecessary items in the room. If you have clutter in this space, it can be distracting and may influence the much-needed relaxed feeling. Pair a clutter-free space with some luxurious linens.
- Interior designers are skilled in spatial planning. We focus not just on the look of a space but also the function. This is a key difference between designers and decorators. An interior designer works closely with architects to design the interior space and has a good amount of experience within the construction field to achieve the look our clients want. Decoration, or decorating, on the other hand, is the furnishing of a space with beautiful or fashionable things while working within its functionality.
- With a white tile, consider a light gray grout for some subtle contrast. For dark color tile or tile with a unique shape, we would use a white grout to really show off the color and pattern of the tile. For a light colored tile, we would use a grout color that blends in so there is no line. This is also dependent on the color palette of the space.
- Different color schemes can help set the atmosphere you are looking to create. If you are designing an office, red, white and black are a good place to start. If you tend to feel anxious after a long day of work, blue, green and white are good colors to incorporate in your space. If you are trying to exude joyfulness in your home, yellow, pink, red, orange and white is the color palette for you. If you consider yourself a stylish person, you might consider using shades of blue, green, grey, gold and red.
Our Sarasota interior designers specialize in luxury interiors and new home construction. We are ready to bring your dream home to life, From Plans to Pillows®. Contact us today to schedule your discovery call.